Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Conquering fears & putting myself out there...


Today I did something I've never done in my 24 years and I conquered a fear in the process.

I asked for a raise.

&& I did it over the phone.
(since the person I had to speak with doesn't work in the same office as I do)

I'm not going to lie - I was SO nervous! I'm certain the person on the other end of the line could hear it in my voice. But I did it.

Oh, and "What's the big deal about the phone?" you ask?

Well, I have a mild speech impediment and when I get really nervous, I tend to stutter. I'm not sure what it is about the phone, but it's a common fear in stutterers. There is something so different about being there in person when you are speaking to them. You get a feel for the tone and you can read body language which eases the tension on your speaking. But when you are on the phone... there is NOTHING for the other person to focus on but your VOICE. My fear used to be so substantial that I'd go out of my way to go inside to fast food restaurants as opposed to the drive-thru. [I've gotten over that ;)]

I was so scared about calling to ask for a raise that I sat there for a bit justifying why I might not need a raise and how I can live with what I have now.

But I knew that would be cutting myself short. I knew that if I ever want to get anywhere I need to do something NOW.

I'm underpaid as it is... and I need more money so I can go back to school. I'm considering pursuing a MBA or some masters degree in Finance or Accounting (because, frankly, a BA in Psychology just ain't cuttin' it...). lol


But today I am proud and happy with my current accomplishment.
I'm going to live in this moment while it is here.

I'll worry about the next step tomorrow ;)

What conquered fear are you most proud of?

*and I haven't heard back yet on that raise... I was told by the person they would see what they can offer and get back to me!

6 comments:

Cupcakes and Cosmopolitans said...

Ha, thank you about my 2012 comment, you were the only that said something.
&& goodness, I am proud of you, for asking for a raise. I hope you hear back from them real soon.


$armin<3

Tamela said...

Congrats on taking that big step for you! I hope you get that raise!

Holly said...

Good for you, girl! Now will you call my boss for me? ;-)~

Kristin said...

asking for a raise sucks!! but sometimes its necessary! hope you get it

Claire Kiefer said...

It's so scary asking for a raise! I've only done it once and I was so nervous as well . . . but it worked! I think that men generally feel more comfortable asking for raises than women, which partially explains why we still make 77 cents on their dollar. So good for you for standing up for yourself!! I hope you get everything you asked for!

Erin Tagle said...

Wow, how did I miss this post?! AWESOME. Way to go - asking for the raise. That is something I can honestly say that I have never done.