Thursday, February 3, 2011

One simple way to cut calories & how drinking iced water can actually BURN calories!

What's one easy way to cut 100's of calories out of your daily calorie count?

Simply watch what you drink! 

Liquid calories can be a sneaky little diet/weight loss sabotager! You can easily drink over 200 calories per day. You've got your morning cup of joe (with cream & sugar if you're like me!), sweet tea, a glass of wine to relax, and maybe a soda to splurge...

Most beverage calorie count is based on 8oz - These little cans are 8oz! 
 We rarely drink only 8oz...

Sweet Tea: 70 Calories per 8oz

Mug Rootbeer: 100 Calories per 8oz

Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot: 160 Calories per 8oz

Coffee Creamer: 35 Calories per 1 tbsp

Now let's add this up to a "daily average" - 
You wake up and have your morning coffee (which can easily add up to 150 calories once you add cream and sugar) so that's 130 Calories (optimistically). Now, let's say you have some sweet tea with your lunch (as Texan's often do) so that's an extra 140 Calories (since we know we aren't just drinking 8oz!) Later, you have a glass of wine either with dinner, or after, to wind down so that's 160 Calories. 

Total liquid calorie count - 430 Calories
 ............................................................................................................

My secret to cutting the calories without even noticing - 

Flavored carbonated water! (Tastes like Cherry 7up to me!)

Zero - No Calories - No Sugar - No Carbs - No Sodium - Zero

Did you know???
That drinking an 8oz glass of ice cold water actually causes you to burn calories? The work your body does to adjust the temperature of the water after you drink it burns calories! If you have your recommended 8 glasses of ice cold water a day - you can burn about 70 Calories per day doing nothing but drinking the water!

That makes water like a negative Calorie drink!

8 comments:

Erin Tagle said...

I'm a freak about NOT drinking my calories. You are so right with this post! Annnd that flavored carbonated water is amazing w/ some vodka in it. LOL I also use the lime flavor in my margaritas, instead of calorie-laden sweet and sour. It's deelish!

Tamela said...

Its crazy how many calories drinks can pack. I try to stick to water and crystal light flavor packs.

You have been tagged!!

Holly said...

This is awesome advice, especially the little bit about the ice water. I drink SO much water every day, and it looks like I need to keep up that habit!

Kendra said...

I love this stuff.! Seltzer water is my favorite.!

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

Did not know that. I usually drink it at room temp. But forget that bring on the ice. I am gonna have to try this black cherry drink. Where can I find it?

Lindsey said...

I know! I had a non-fat latte from Starbucks yesterday and it was still 200 cals, which is such a waste! But yesterday with the ice drive into work, it was worth it. I almost had an anxiety attack driving home. I was supposed to go into work this morning. I tried to go, but my car got stuck in my apartment parking lot. I know I've already said it, but this weather is absolutely insane!!! Summer get here PLEASE!

Anonymous said...

The water you are drinking may contain no sugar but it is sweetened with Aspartame, an artificial sugar. Many people consider aspartame unsafe and choose to limit their consumption of it. Personally, i would rather drink a beverage containing real sugar than artificial sugar. Best drink of all is plain tap water!

Evan Marcus said...

Water is the source of life. But when people drink iced water it effects like slow poison. Human should keep a distance from drinking too chilled water. Thank you for this informative post.

Regards,
Evan
Organic Noni Juice