Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Way I See It #283

I was blogging-hopping around when I found one simple blog post that has completely changed my outlook... and quite possibly, my life. Thank you to Maeghan at Limoni Dolci.


{picture from Maeghan's blog post}

The most important thing in life is to stop saying "I wish" and start saying "I will." Consider nothing impossible, then treat the possibilities as probabilities.

Lately I've been doubting myself. Ok, so that's a little white lie... because I've always doubted myself. I like to consider myself "realistic" but that turns into not taking risks, playing it too safe, and missing out on life.

I've got a (minor) speech impediment.

This is what I am MOST self-concious about. I'd have to say, this is the one thing that controls so much of what I do and the choices I make in life. When I was younger, I developed a stutter. By the 3rd grade, I couldn't speak a sentence. I went to speech therapy and it helped tremendously and now today, I've got it pretty much under control. It slips out sometimes when I'm nervous, overly excited (it's like my brain thinks too quickly for my mouth lol), and sometimes well, it just happens.

One example of how my impediment influences my life:

I will not apply to be a receptionist ever again. I worked as a temp for Wingstop as a receptionist and honestly, I was fine. No one even knew I had a speech problem. Well, my supervisor was such a witch and made me really nervous when she came around! I could tell that when she came around me, I was being judged on every move I made. She walked up on me while I was on the phone with a customer, and I got nervous and BARELY stuttered.

She had the nerve to say, "You know, as a receptionist... You are the 'manager of first impressions' and that holds true on the phones as well." and gave me a snotty glare.
...........................................................
Back on topic now... how this Starbucks cup has changed my outlook on life.

I have decided to pursue my graduate degree in Speech Language Pathology working with children. I'm a little nervous thought because 1. I have a minor impediment myself and 2. there is a lot of risk (money & time) involved. You see, I have to take 18 hrs of courses AND THEN try to get into the SLP program. And I try to tell myself, "If you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen."

Lately, I've been thinking... "But what if I fail??"

What if I spend all this time and money and I don't even get into the program? What if I get into the program, but I can't pass the exam to get my license? What if I get my SLP license and no one will hire me because of my impediment?

I wish I could be a Speech Language Pathologist.

After a little inspiration (and a swift kick in the ass)... I will be a SLP.

I'm going to try my hardest to do what needs to be done. Thank you to Starbucks, for printing this cup... Maeghan, for sharing this with us... and my fiancee, who I know is going to say "See, I told you you could do it."
{i love you babe}

10 comments:

Dylana said...

Lovely blog!

colormenana.blogspot.com

Michelle "Lady Bug" said...

This is a great post. Totally inspiring since I've been having some rough times lately. I love the saying on the quote.
:D

Good luck with everything!

maeghan said...

Lindsay, first of all, I am so incredibly flattered!!! We all need those little reminders once in a while to help us get to where we want to be. :) You WILL be a SLP! And it will be so exciting to watch you document your journey!

Lindsay said...

you can do it!!!!!!! Who's a better candidate for a SLP than someone who's lived it?

Anonymous said...

I am an SLP. There are MANY SLP's that stutter, etc. I encourage you wholeheartedly to pursue your desire to be an SLP. Yes, it is a long road, however time will go by anyway...and my professors were so encouraging. I will admit I was scared of grad school, but now 15 years later, I am proud every time I tell someone what I do. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Tamela said...

Since you do stutter it is the best reason to become a SLP. It gives the kids hope and understanding since you are going through it also.

Can't wait to hear when you have become a SLP. You WILL do it!

Kristin said...

I'm so going to use that...I WILL...Fabulous!

cali bird said...

I have to say I'm not an avid starbucks goer but when I do go I love to get the cup & read what it says. It's like a bigger version of a fortune cookie. It's good to know there are girls on here from Texas! I was kinda feelin a little out of place lol Thanks for stopping by a& following. I really like your blog too

Lyndsy said...

I heart Starbucks cups! That is a great philosophy and quote to rule your life by! Thanks for reposting to remind me :)

Carrie said...

Thank you so much for this post...I can completely relate! I've had a speech impediment since I was little, also super minor like yours. But it definitely comes out when I'm nervous or have to use the phone. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about it.

I totally LOVE the quote too..what fabulous words to live by. I am going to try and think like that more often :)

You aren't alone!!! Thanks again :)