Tuesday, February 28, 2012

3 great money-saving tips when it comes to fashion

If there is one thing I am good GREAT at... it's saving money on fashion. Luckily, I have that "thrift" gene in my blood because I most definitely have the patience and discipline when shopping! lol I figured I'd share some of my money-saving tips when it comes to fashion.

1. Shop THRIFT

Thrift stores are full of hidden gems! Yes, they can be time consuming but well worth the money saved.  We all know that "time is money" so it helps to know what to look for when you hit up the thrift stores. 

Thrift stores are great for:

Blazers - I paid $4 for the blazer I'm wearing below at Goodwill. There was an assortment of sizes and colors and styles... the possibilities are endless! Blazers at Goodwill sell for about $4 here locally, compared to the mall where you can pay upwards $40+ for ONE.

Pants - I don't even own a pair of work pants that didn't come from Goodwill. lol I've bought pants there by Old Navy, Banana Republic, and New York & Company. The "career" pants at thrift stores are usually in pretty good shape since people tend to take better care of their work clothes. (Plus it's not like you're doing too many strenuous tasks in your office attire) lol

Accessories - Belts, scarves, and unique jewelry are always fun to shop for when thrifting! It's so neat to score a vintage piece for a deal! 

$4 blazer from Goodwill

 2. Shop eBay or Craigslist for high-end fashion

Yes, the purse below is mine. :) I've wanted a Louis Vuitton for so long... I'm talking years. I thoroughly researched and studied the bag and it's history inside and out before I finally bought one. (Well, technically my husband bought it for me as a surprise, with my approval of course lol) The purse below sells brand new for over $1,000. We got mine (this one below), basically new, for $325. Yes, it is authentic. 


Websites like eBay and Craigslist are a great way to score a steal on high end items like designer purses, sunglasses, etc BUT you must be extremely knowledgeable about what you're purchasing. These websites are FULL of fakes and very well made high quality replicas. And yes, people are constantly selling them for the price of an authentic one. It's messed up but that's the real world.

If you know what you're looking for and you study the product inside and out, you can score an amazing deal on an authentic item with confidence! You don't know how much I'm in love with my Louis Vuitton bag and I'm beyond proud that we only paid for a third of what the bag costs. lol

3. Shop discount stores like Marshalls & TJ Maxx

While thrifting is great for basics to your wardrobe, places like Marshall's and TJ Maxx are great for the seasonal trends in your closet. I love to shop for cute tops and shoes! (Marshalls is my go-to for shoes! It's like a shoe paradise lol)

Another great steal at these places are designer sunglasses! I bought these Oscar De La Renta sunglasses at Steinmart for only $12! 


Well, I hope these 3 tips were helpful :) If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer! Feel free to email or tweet me.

Happy shopping (and saving!)

5 comments:

Michelle P said...

Great tips! I definitely try thrift stores first to see if I can find any good quality items.

| C AND C | Sarmin said...

I wanna go thrifting so bad, its just there aren't any good place around my house. I deff love Ross/Marshall's tho.

& pretty purse! I want the Speedy, so getting it this year.

xo SARMIN

Lindsay [Bella Cene'] said...

They are definitely "hit or miss" but when you score a great find the hunting is SO worth it!

Lindsay [Bella Cene'] said...

Oh dear! No good places around you to thrift shop?? That blows!

You can save $200+ on a speedy if you check eBay! There are plenty in GREAT shape! lol I wanted one for a while so I did a lot of research! Feel free to email me any questions about authenticity :)

Kristin said...

TJ MAXX Marshalls Ross are my favorites!!