Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Let's talk about make-up: Foundation

I am on the search for a new foundation. Right now, I only use a mineral powder by N.Y.C (the only one that doesn't break me out!) but lately, with all the caffine I've consumed on top of the lack of sleep due to classes, I've been searching for a bit more coverage.

This is a very tricky task for me... You see, I've got combination oily/dry, very sensitive, breakout-prone skin. I can't use most products and I have to read down to the ingredients in everything before I consider slathering it on my face.

I have tried all kinds of cleansers - Proactive, Clinique, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, Clearasil, Olay, ... and this list could go on forever. After many breakouts and dollars spent, I've discovered that I can only wash my face with 1. Mark's That's Deep Purifying Gel Cleanser or 2. Johnson's Head-to-Toe Baby Soap.

Now on to the foundation...


This is what I've built up so far in foundation... I currently only use two of these items. A quick review of the items above:

Almay Clear Complexion Makeup - I'm not a fan of liquid foundations. No matter what they claim (matte finish, complexion clearing, etc) they always seem to leave my skin oily and shiny after just a few hours.

Almay Smart Shade Smart Balance Makeup - It's ok. I haven't noticed it breaking me out but I find it a bit hard to blend. The color can turn kind of "orange-y" but if you blend, blend, and blend... it's not so bad. The coverage is minimal. I'll probably give to this a friend.

Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse - I LOVE this product. This foundation smoothes and blends nicely and leaves my skin super soft yet dewy looking without all the oil. I LOVE it. However, it contains bismuth oxychloride and my sensitive skin can't deal. (I break out horribly when I use products that contain bismuth oxychloride!)

*FYI - most mineral makeup contains bismuth oxychloride so if you find that mineral foundation is breaking you out... that could be the culprit!*

Maybelline Dream Matte Liquid - Like I said above... not a fan of liquid foundation. This one especially left me oily and shiny after just a few hours. And it eventually led to breakouts.

Max Factor Pan-Stik Foundation - This is actually what I use for concealer and it's fantastic! It's the BEST thing I've found so far. The coverage is just perfect and it blends well with the rest of my makeup. I definitely recommend this to anyone!

N.Y.C. Smooth Mineral Foundation - This is the only mineral makeup I've found that doesn't irritate my skin. (It does NOT contain bismuth oxychloride). The coverage is sheer t0 light. It's perfect in the summer! After I apply the Max Factor Pan-Stik makeup to my trouble areas (under the eyes, sides of nose, any blemishes) I apply this power foundation to smooth and set everything. It layers nicely on top of foundation. The best part - it's only $4 :)
*I recommended this to a friend and she's hooked on it now too!

Now... the product I'm super excited to try -

I did some research on this product (there's no bismuth oxychloride!) and I've heard nothing but rave reviews! It sells at Target for only $13.99 but you can get a coupon for $1 off.

I'll try this out for a bit then post a review after about a week or two.

If you have any personal foundation suggestions (remember - for combo oily/dry, SENSITIVE, breakout-prone skin) leave a comment below :)

Thanks!

5 comments:

Kendra said...

I have the same problem. I have so many problems with foundation. I do too love the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse. It is one of my favorites. :)

Meg said...

I have the same type of skin you do, more so on the dry/ breakout prone side. But I have never really liked foundation. So I heard a few girls on here talking about this new powder makeup they got and I got some too. LOVE IT. the best makeup I have ever put on my skin. its almost airbrush looking. Its insane. But its by Cargo and its the blu-ray powder. its a little more expensive, I payed 15 for mine. but its more than worth it. I AM IN LOVE!!!

Tamela said...

I can never seem to find a foundation to match my skin and every time I would put makeup I would start sneezing. So I found cover-girl's new sensitive skin foundation and I really like it. No more sneezing!

Melissa said...

I currently have some of the Boots No7 products and overall they are great! I have considered buying this product before and just haven't done it yet. I am also in the need for new foundation so I look forward to your review of this product...Crossing my fingers for you! :)

Lorianne said...

Hey! I used to have the same problem you do! I recently became a mark. cosmetics sales representative and got to try out their foundation, mark Face Xpert Flawless Touch Makeup, and it worked AMAZING! It blends perfectly and doesn't even look like you have any foundation on. I think it is $10.00 right now and comes in 8 different shades. If you want to try it out, go to my website www.lcaracciolo.mymarkstore.com. Good luck and if you try it, let me know if you like it!