Saturday, March 2, 2013

Everyone's having babies and I'm all like "Where's the wine?"

Is it just me, or is there something in the water? 


I can't even open my Facebook without being bombarded with sonograms, baby bumps, and adorable little bundles of joy... all the while I'm sitting here with a glass of wine like "Who's up for happy hour?" Now don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them but sometimes I feel like I'm falling behind in the game of life.

I will be 27 in October and I swear I deserve a trophy for not getting knocked up thus far. All of my friends are having a baby (or two). They all talk about symptoms, baby names, baby clothes, cribs, formula, and so on... and sometimes it just kind of feels like I don't really have much to contribute.

It's really easy to get caught up in all this but be careful... Don't miss out on your own life. I've recently found this to be true for myself. For so long, I felt like I was falling behind or missing out on something. I would look at other people and be jealous of their situation. My husband recently brought it to my attention that we've (especially me) been so consumed with the future, that we're totally missing out on the present. We're missing out on the enjoyment of having the freedom to come and go, we don't have the stress of another mouth to feed, we're getting enough sleep at night, we can afford to go to Mexico or Washington DC or a cruise whenever we please (sort of lol - no daycare means more money for vacations!) 

 
Now, please don't get me wrong. I want a baby. I would even say that I have baby fever... but I'm going to be happy where I am right now. I'm going to enjoy this time. My time will come when it's my time. God's timing is perfect and I'm sure there's a reason it hasn't happened for us yet. No matter where you are, try not to compare your situation with another. I find this quote to be so true:  

COMPARISON is the thief a joy.


You are awesome.

Now leave me a comment and be awesomer! ;)

4 comments:

Caitlin C. said...

Amen to this post! Except I'm 22, and I feel like every time I log into Facebook, someone else is getting married. I feel "behind" since I'm nowhere close, but I have to remind myself to just live in the present :)

stefaniegrace.com said...

Amen.

Nini Kat said...

Yup I feel the same way. And some of these babies are now on purpose! This is a great post that I wish I wouldve read every year from 18 - 22!

Kasey Lynne said...

If all my friends were having babies, I would get sick of hearing about it too! Luckily, I only have 1 or 2 friends who are or have had babies, and they live far away ;D