Saturday, June 27, 2009

No Job






Evidently... a bachelor's degree doesn't mean much in the "job" world. Either I am underqualified or overqualified which means I am NOT qualified for anything.

The smaller, lower end jobs say I am overqualified because I do have my college degree and the bigger, higher pay jobs so I am underqualified because I don't have any experience.

So I have come to the point now where last week I dressed up pretty and walked into about 12 local medical offices and asked if they have any open (front desk/clerical) positions. The overwhelming response: "No."

On the upside... I do have an appointment with a staffing recruiter from staffing agency. I really, really hope she can get me some work!

Annndddddd... I came up with the brilliant (lol) idea to email EVERY psychologist I can where I live and this is what I wrote:

"Hello,

I am a recent college graduate from Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. I just graduated with my BA in Psychology and I am returning to TAMUCC for graduate school this fall. I am working towards my MS in Counseling to eventually getting my LPC.

I am currently searching for any job that can help me gain experience and I was wondering if you had any available positions? I would love any administrative, assistant, clerical, etc type work and I think it would really benefit me if I can work in a mental health setting.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,
Lindsay"

Well, I had one respond saying that she'd like to meet with me to discuss some possible opportunities!!! But she's out of town right now so that will have to be next week sometime...

*Wish me luck*

16 comments:

New England Girl said...

Good luck!!! I know how you feel... I have my MA from a British university. I have applied to close to 60 jobs now and although I have gotten some responses, most say I am too overqualified and they can't afford to hire me on. All I want to do is scream, "I will work for normal pay!!!!" I just wish I could find a job. I hope you get something sooner than later!! I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Alison said...

Luck!!! It will happen!

Kristin said...

Good luck lady. It's brutal out there right now. It will get better!

Sharon McPherson: AUTHOR / ARTIST said...

Hi!

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have a Masters Degree, but not enough 'experience' for graduate jobs. On the other hand, I am resented by fellow staff in administrastion, office type jobs because I am super qualified.

I was even advised to take my degree off my cv!!! I nearly choked. My plan is too keep grading up, and continue developing myself and one day I'll get to where I deserve to be.

Good luck with your appointment. I'm sure if the job exists, it's yours. :)

Kym said...

things will work out lindsay! :)

Patty Ann said...

Don't feel bad - the job market sucks, so it's not you. I majored in ECD and made sure to keep in touch with my professors because they're a pretty good source for job searching. They usually always know of available positions or good starting places. Good luck with that!

d.a.r. said...

Fingers are crossed!

Hollyrocks said...

Good luck!

You're not the first person I've heard say that about having a bachelor's degree. I'm so sorry that you're having a rough time looking for a job, but I know you'll come through on top. Keep your spirits high, maybe the response to your letter will turn out to be something good. :-)

Jessica said...

Good luck! I have one year left before I graduate with a BA in Psychology so I'm sure I will have the same problem.

M.J. said...

Good luck! My boyfriend has a BS in psychology but wound up teaching. It seems that most worth-while jobs in psychology require a master's degree--tough field.

Tracy-Girl said...

Good Luck with everything... I know that things are really tough right now... hang in there, you are not alone!

♥ H ♥ said...

OMG! I'm in the SAME boat! I thought you NEEDED a BA in order to get any job! I've applied to all types of admin/clerical jobs (I actually do have experience there) and I'm pretty much overqualified or in some cases (medical offices) I'm not. UGH! Frustrating. Lame lol!! Oh well, something WILL come along! Good luck lady!

Mrs. C said...

Good luck! I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble. There's unfortunately not much out there. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

p.s. super awesome you graduated from A&M

Ali said...

Crossing my fingers!

Michelle "Lady Bug" said...

High five for putting yourself out there like that. Sometimes that's what it takes. Good luck too!!!
:D

Nicole Marie said...

yay! that looks like a great letter! goodluck!