Monday, May 18, 2009

I've got a BA in Psychology!

I did it!! :) I graduated this past Saturday, May 16. And let me tell you... it was NOT an easy task on Saturday. Let me share the story with you:
First off, there was a "Beach to Bay" marathon which caused horrible traffic on the island (North Padre Island... right beside Corpus Christi). I happen to live on the island and it took me an hour and half to get off the island! It normally takes about 10 minutes to get off the island from my house, but ONLY due to the stop lights. (I always seem to hit the red lights) So I left my house at 8am and didn't get to my graduation until 10:20am... Graduation started at 10:30am.

My fiance and future father-in-law drove me to graduation and when we were ALMOST there, we missed the turn and headed the opposite direction. However, this seemed to work in our favor because the traffic was really bad where we were supposed to go, so since we had to turn around and come in the opposite way... we didn't have to deal with the traffic. :) We finally got to where my graduation was and the traffic to park was so bad that I had to get out and run about a quarter mile or so in my dress holding my cap and gown. Thank goodness I didn't wear heels! I wore these super cute strappy flat sandals... I finally made it to the building only to find I have to go ALL THE WAY AROUND to the opposite side where the graduates were meeting. I finally made it in and as I grabbed my name card (for the announcer to read before I walk across the stage), I had to find my alphabetical spot in line and I pretty much was zipping up my gown as we walked out of the "holding room." BUT, I made it!!
That's not where this story ends...

I finally get there and I'm listening to different speakers and such while simultaneously browsing the stands (full of thousands of people) trying to find my family. I had my cell on me so I could text them... Well, my parents were running late because of the bad traffic on the island (they left after me) and I get a text from my cousin (who was there in the stands) saying that they won't let my immediate family in. (This includes my parents, siblings, and grandmother) They've locked the doors because the place has "reached capacity." I was furious because my family that did make it in the stands had a whole row saved for them! I was almost about to get up during my graduation and walk out... I was so upset. I was thinking, my parents are the only reason I'm even sitting here, graduating college and if they can't be here then I don't want to walk the stage. I decided to wait it out a bit because my whole family were all working on getting them in. (Keep in mind it wasn't just MY family who got locked out... I heard it was a riot out there)

I get a text from my brother, who's locked out with the rest, that my mom's about to get arrested. This lady pushed my mother to get in front of my family (she even had the nerve to push my 12 year old brother out of the way) and started waving to her family in the back to come up there with her. My mother did NOT let that happen, and let's just say that lady went to the back of the crowd. I heard my mother almost punched that lady for pushing one of her kids. I was told people were screaming, crying, kids were crying, and people were about to get into fights from pushing. I also heard that some people almost started to break through the doors. I guess my mom raised enough hell that the guard said that only 150 people could get in and I was just blessed enough that my whole family made it in as part as that 150. I'm glad I didn't leave.

So, I walked the stage, didn't trip, smiled and waved at my parents from the stage and blew a kiss to my fiance :) (He loved that lol) He was so proud of me. I can't believe that I made it... I did it! And my whole family had to go through HELL to be there for me. Honestly, if it weren't for my parents pushing me and keeping me motivated, I don't know if I'd ever have finished school. Our school has about 9,000 students in it and only 914 graduated. (It was the largest class ever to graduate from my university)

Sorry for this long book but I had to share the whole story... :) Now that this is out of the way, you should be hearing more about a wedding!! Fun, Fun! June 5, 2010 will be here before you know it. ;)

14 comments:

bananas. said...

congratulations! that is a HUGE accomplishment...not only the graduation but making it through the day. glad to hear your family made it in.

xoxo
mayra

Belle said...

Congrats! Sorry to hear that it was such a crazy day before hand, but you did it! Good job girl!!!

M.J. said...

Congratulations!!!!!

Hello Lindello said...

Thats awesome. Congrats!

Beth Dunn said...

Congratulations!!!! I just gave you an award on my site. xoxo

...love Maegan said...

Congratulations!!!!

Michelle "Lady Bug" said...

This was a funny story. I was happy to hear that your family was able to get in. I think if I had been you and they weren't able to get in, I would've left too. Crazy how everything works out too. Glad your mom wasn't arrested though.
:D

Robert W. Leonard said...

Congrats! What a crazy story. I can't believe some woman pushed a child, that's a bit ridiculous.

Mademoiselle Frou-Frou said...

congratulations!!
i actually never attended my college graduation...just didn't want to deal with any hassle. but at least you have a great memory you can look back and laugh at!
xox

Angela Darling said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful! As for your momma- "Atta girl"! hehe ;)

Jeanette "Frogster" said...

congrats! proud of you a nd your hard work!

kle said...

congratulations!! well done you :)

Michelle said...

Congratulations! I have a BS in psych. I was so worried about tripping on the stage when I walked. Oh, and I LOOOOOOVE Padre. We used to vacation there every year. I'm going to Corpus this year for the 4th. I've never been there.

Shalay said...

OMG that sounds like the day from hell! Well, the first part, anyway. I'm glad your whole family got to see you graduate. Congrats!