Friday, August 7, 2009

Enough with the photoshop... Really.

Well, Kelly Clarkson is on the new Self Magazine just beaming with "total body confidence!"


September 2009 Issue


A recent photo from her performance on Good Morning America

#1 - How can you expect us to have "total body confidence" when your cover model has clearly been digitally slimmed down? Really Self Mag?

#2 - No. Kelly Clarkson is not skinny. But that doesn't make her ugly or unattractive. She's beautiful & super talented. I really wish you would've let her truly represent herself on your cover.

I am really tired of all this photoshop nonsense. This ad by Dove is BRILLIANT and I wish for every woman [young & old] to see this and understand.

I am sure you've all seen this video before... but sometimes I watch it just as a reminder to myself. You see, I am a big fan of magazines! I love to read the tips, the stories, the inspirations, etc and I love the pictures. Sometimes I have to stop and tell myself, "These women don't really look this way."


I am actually going to graduate school to get my Masters in Counseling and I want to work with young girls-women on body image, self esteem, and unfortunately eating disorders because sometimes that's what it comes to.

I believe that no one is perfect... not even celebrities. [duh lol or else they wouldn't need photoshop!] I can understand digitally altering that zit or some discoloration [etc] but when you start shaving off pounds & making them look absolutely "flawless," that is when it becomes unhealthy.


Our perception of beauty is so distorted is sickening to me. What our society believes to be "beautiful" and whatnot is virtually impossible! It's one thing to strive to be healthy [which may involve losing weight and such] but it's another to long for this unachievable perfection. I completely understand you wanting to "beautify" your natural self [i.e. makeup]... But, you have to love yourself and see yourself for who you are. We all want to be unique and yet we all want to look like "her."

We can take care of ourselves... but please make some effort to let the young, impressionable girls know they are beautiful just the way they are: every freckle, every curve, every strand of hair, etc.

What we see on tv, movies, and magazines is not reality.

25 comments:

Lindsay said...

Totally agree. They are trying to ban photoshopping in England, I hope that happens here too. It's just sickening!

Toothfairynotes said...

agree... kelly clarkson is talented and actually quite pretty and cute herself! she doesn't need to slim down. Some girls actually look way better a little bit chubby!


Have a great weekend!
*loves*

Polly said...

We don't seem to get those Dove Films over here in England, so thank you for sharing! They really are rather shocking, especially that first one! xxx

Kristen said...

Great post. I haven't seen either of those videos before...thanks for posting. It's always a nice reminder!

Christie Cottage said...

Well said!

stilettolover91 said...

I couldn't agree with you more!! Everybody knows she isn't skinny, so they shouldn't try to make her skinny!! I really like her new video for "Already Gone" though, she looks gorgeous in it!

http://www.hottheels.blogspot.com

Hello Lindello said...

amen! I still read magazines, but whenever I pick up the cover I'm like "yeah right". They look like shiny plastic dolls. It will be interesting to see what they look like 50 years from now.

pineapple said...

Yes, I wish girls weren't so out of focus these days. Why would healthy be unattractive and extremely unhealty or completely fake be attractive? It will never make sense to me.

This was a great post - very inspirational.

Hachii said...

yeh i agree too, it maakes the models look unnatural and therefore we cant ever get there.
they even photoshop out moles!
we cn paint over every mole in our body so its ridiculous.
it adds to bullying too, if things like moles and fat were accepted in magazines more, then there would be far less bullying as it would be seen as much more normal!
im glad comanies like Dove are doing this. its great. but bigger companies and magazines need to be doing the same.

Annie said...

amen sister!
i can't believe self would go that far with all the photoshopping, esp. with the kind of magazine it is!
kelly is beautiful as is, what they did to her body is wrong.

Elizabeth Marie said...

Agreed.
I work in marketing and PR and I'm always doing photoshoots with gorgeous models...and then part of my job is when I get the proofs back I have to go over them with literally a microscope and call out any "imperfections", make them skinnier, etc...and it makes me sick to my stomach every time I have to do it. It's prob the WORST part of my job.

BakerGirl said...

I totally agree with you. While photoshop has it's place in some ad's (special effects, bg, maybe removing anything that happened to get on the lens, lighting etc..) it should NOT be used to change women's bodies. I just do not agree with the way the fashion industry used photoshop to further their image of what a "woman" is. Granted image manipulation (especially fashion images) goes way back before computers were ever used.

d.a.r. said...

Amen!!!!

Brett Alexandra said...

right on, girlfriend! I saw that commercial all through my college classes. It sends such a great message:)

Lily G. said...

She is definitely talented and she looks great no matter what size her body is!

JennyMac said...

This is great. And I am sure it makes her feel odd that they photoshop her body down by half. She is talented! Let her look the way she is.

Kristin said...

Well said. And I know if someday you have a little girl you'll communicate just that to her!

Hollyrocks said...

I really appreciate what Dove has been up to lately. It makes me want to support them, and I'm not the type of person who is easily won over by silly little ad campaigns. But this is important, and it really hits home for me too. I grew up thinking I was ugly because I had black hair and freckles. I wanted so badly to be a blond with blue eyes. As I grew older, I became aware of the fact that beauty is not about all that. But I still need a little reminder every once in a while. :-) Thanks for this awesome post!

sarah said...

I couldn't agree more!

brooke said...

oh my goodness!!! SO TRUE!!! completely demotivating when they do things like this...i don't really invest in these fitness mags anyway because every month it is the same stuff just revised...i mean there are only so many exercise moves you can create ya'know! and this is why i make it a point to tell my little ladies daily how gorgeous they are...smart...etc....build up that confidence early!!

Grace said...

The girl in that video is even more beautiful before they 'make her up.'

Love Grace.

Mrs. C said...

Great post! I couldn't agree with you more. I also love the Dove commercials. They are the "real" beautiful women. The magazine give such a false sense of what is real. No one looks that good. Some of them, yes, are in great shape but they can work out 4 hours a day whereas us normal folk have to work everyday to make a living.

A skinny waist and flawless skin isn't everything.

Great post. Just great!

M.J. said...

Yes, enough! No wonder we women have such unrealistic ideas of what is beautiful and such effed-up self images.

Did you know that when a film is released in the U.S., the starlet's breasts are often digitally enhanced. How sick is that? Keira Knightley in King Arthur is a famous example.

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I support England in trying to ban photoshop..... it is ridiculous when the person one the covers does not resemble themselves. Honestly, what has our culture come to-it's scary how false our idea of beauties is.

Congratulations on your masters, you've chosen a beautiful path.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

AMEN!!!!!!