Saturday, August 1, 2009

Baking soda for oily skin?

I learned from Glamorouxx how to create a facial mask using baking soda and water. So last night, I mixed myself a little concoction of it and I must say I was very pleased with the results! It did sting in some areas of my face but after I washed it off, my skin felt very clean and smooth. Baking soda has antibacterial properties that can help oily, acne prone skin.

You can learn about more ways to use baking soda here on the Arm & Hammer website.

*Remember! It's baking SODA [not baking powder] and this treatment can be very drying to you HAVE to use a good moisturizer afterwards!

5 comments:

Elizabeth Marie said...

I think I'm going to try this now! I went to her blog and the word "glow" got me...haha. And if you did it too...Wait how long did you leave it on for??

Kristin said...

I've been trying to get that preggers "glow" back ever since I dropped the kiddo!

Taryn said...

Baking soda is amazing stuff. I never knew there was so much you could use it for!

Moonlight Eternal said...

Baking soda is great, but don't use it too often (like everyday). Our faces are on the acidic side of the pH (it's actually called the "acid mantle") whereas baking soda is alkaline. Our faces are about 5 on the pH scale; 7 is considered neutral. If you use it too much, it will disrupt the acid mantle, and it is this acid mantle that keeps everything 'normal', so to speak. That's why it helps with overly oily skin, because it helps balance it.

Baking soda is alkaline and not good for everyone's skin. Have you ever let your hand soak in a bucket of detergent soap (the usual grocery store/drug store soaps)? It will make your skin soft and almost soggy feeling. It does the same to your skin. It helps to exfoliate any rough patches by softening them, but using it too often messes up our natural pH. If you do something to make your face more alkaline, our skin will actually start creating more sebum to restore the acid mantle.

I'm referring to masks, by the way. Exfoliating with a bit of baking soda every day won't make a big difference concerning the pH.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!