Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?

I started my new "grown-up" job 2 weeks ago. The first week and a half was SO hard because I at the same time, I was finishing up my last 2 weeks at my previous server job. Wednesday of last week was my last day as a server... ever. :)

2 days later... I was pulled into a separate room at my new job and told that that day was going to be my last day because they were "letting me go." 2 weeks into my new job - I was fired.

"Why?" ... you may ask?

because of my speech impediment.

Trust me, I know this is illegal.

[My minor impediment (stutter) is classified as a disability and you can read about the law on equal opportunity here]

A little about my impediment: It's a very minor stutter that most people don't even know I have. When I'm nervous, it tends to come out a bit more than usual. The people who know about it are my closest family and friends. (That's how minor it is) The people at my job noticed it because they put me on a few phone calls while standing right over me and of course I got nervous so it wasn't all that smooth!

Of course I freaked out when I got this news... and I was hurt. Really hurt actually. I was scared too! I'd just given up my old job 2 days before and now I'm sitting unemployed. That's when this scripture happened to jump out at me:

Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. - Matthew 8:26


So I applied for a gazillion jobs on Friday. I figured that's all I can do right now so the rest is in God's hands. I was fired on Friday and I found out on Monday that I've got an interview for another job on Wednesday.

This job is way closer to where I live, a much larger company with more room for advancement, and the job is much more suited to what I enjoy :)

When everything seems like pure chaos - just remember God knows what he's doing.

5 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

You have such an amazing attitude about this! What on earth kind of company were you working for that would do something SO HORRIBLE as fire someone for a speech impediment? Did they actually TELL you that's why they were firing you? I'm so sorry this is happening . . . and you are clearly the stronger person in this situation, as you've got such an optimistic and trusting perspective. Makes me think about the things people with noticeable "disabilities" go through every day . . .

Mandi said...

What a terrible thing to have happen to you! I wish for the best for you.

And I wanted to say thanks for sharing that scripture I think it is exactly what I needed to hear this morning.

Brittany Ann said...

You are so strong remaining upbeat through all this. Still, you should consult the Better Business Bureau or something. Authorities need to know that the company is using illegal business practices to fire people. In the future, I'd hate to think this would happen to somewhere else, there, as well!

The Pittman's said...

This blows my mind! I'm so sorry this happened to you...are you taking any sort of action? Good luck finding a new job, one that supports and respects its employees.

Kristin said...

wow i cant believe that happened!! i am so sorry you were put in that position!! i will say a little prayer for you!